Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Synchronous chat with Mike Marzio

It was so interesting to learn about how Mike Marzio works with his videos and the time he puts in his work. Here are some ideas that I'd like to write down in order not to forget:
- Media is not an add-on for Mike, rather a neccesity.I have to say that I've been using videos to wrap-up a lesson or to expose students to more listening/speaking practice. I'll probably continue doing this unless I find alternatives, which is why I've signed for this course.
- The criteria behind the Real English videos is an interesting one, Mike explained how he manages the language for each level and how a teacher can exploit more his videos in the classroom.
- I had heard of Hot Potatoes before, but had never done any activities using it, and that's what Mike uses in his videos. I'll give it a try as well.
- According to Mike, in EFL Lessons, there is lack of more listening before reading. It seems to be worth it to expose students to as much listening as possible before they see the written words. I I'm convinced that the visual aspect is extremely important when it comes to learning vocabulary. A teacher can avoid using L1 or giving explanations that might confuse students more, especially, the basic level ones. It is common to see in lesson plans in texts the suggestion: Pre-teach these vocabulary before your students listen or read something.
In my experience, in many cases, I've found out that the students didn't get the words in the pre-teaching part, but when they saw them in context.
- Thus, videos provide a context where a conversation is happening. In real life, we use this context to understand a message, we see and interpret face expressions and gestures. Also the environment around us plays another important role.
- In week 2, we have an essay to write and videos to watch.

No comments:

Animoto.com